I began this knitting project with a short- sleeved summer water-fall shrug schematic. It was a little different design with the back and the side fronts all knit in one piece. Then the lace panels were to be sewn on as the waterfall fronts. I had it all sewn together except one side lace panel and it was not working. It just would not hang well and so I gave that up. And I seriously considered the trash can for the whole project. 😊 But, I took the sleeves back out and un-sewed the first lace panel. I found a different schematic for a pullover and used the 2 lace panels in the front and back of the pullover. I had some adjusting to do because the lace panels were longer than I wanted for the pullover. I did not really like the bottom edging I had on the lace so I was not sure what to do for a bottom edge on the pullover. Since it is easy to unravel the last part I knit, I turned the panels over and unraveled what was the top edging I had on it and rehung it on the machine and made ribbing – which was easy to match when making the other side panels. The lace on the sleeves runs the opposite direction but one would have to study the design to see it. Then, since the lace panels were too still long at the top, I did a cut and sew neckline and made a sandwich band to enclose it all. It is way too hot in this Colorado heat even for a short-sleeved sweater so it has to wait until fall, but at least I salvaged the project. It is made on a standard gauge with Tamm 3 ply on tension 8. Instead of regular lace, I tried the fine lace setting for the panels and was pleased with the result. In fact, I preferred it since I really did not want any open lace for the center front and back of this sweater. So… there it is – A Shrug turned Pullover.
I saw these really cute photos of the front and back of a hand knit cardigan and thought I would see if I could figure out how to make it by the photos. This has no shaping as I knit the pieces, but is just 2 rectangles with a band sewn on the front and around the neck. So simple and so much fun because the shaping is all done in how it is folded and sewn! I made this on the standard gauge machine because I wanted it to be as lightweight and Spring-like as possible, since it is short sleeved. Well…the sleeves come to the elbow, which is hard to see by the photo. I did a thread lace stitch pattern and used 2 ends of cone serger thread for the second yarn that was an identical match in color to the Tamm Estillo main yarn. I wrote the pattern from small to 2X, and since it is a loose-fitting shrug I only needed 3 sizes. The pattern is above in the drop-down menus. You can make this on any machine, using any yarn and any stitch pattern. How easy is that! But, it does require a carefully measured tension swatch, but you all are experts at that! 🙂 And if not, there is a tutorial for each gauge of machine in the drop down menu. I home-school my grandson for a history class and I need to write an end of year review. So…no more knitting until that is written! 🙂