Herringbone Shawl

Herringbone Shawl

Bulky Machine Chemo Shawl

I wanted to do some knitting for our Knit Club charity today. Shawls were requested for the chemo center for patients to wrap around their arms during chemo. I preferred to make it on the bulky machine and I used Diana Sullivan’s pattern for a Herringbone pattern in full needle rib. Her directions are for a standard scarf, but I easily adapted it to the whole bed for a shawl. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaAK6cOscgk  It used a change in the racking position every row on the ribber, which sounds tedious, but it worked up very quickly and it was easy to get into a rhythm! It only took 240 rows to make the width of the shawl because with the whole bed used, the width on the machine actually becomes the length of the shawl. It worked up to be 50 inches long by 27 inches wide – the perfect size for a bit of cuddly warmth. The ribber tucks in one direction and then a different set of racking settings were used every 20 rows giving the herringbone pattern. Because of the change in racking positions, it creates the ripple effect on each end and I think it is a great addition to the shawl! It was completed in just a few minutes (even with stopping to write my lovely sister a letter in the middle! 😊 ). I used Nomis 3/15 yarn set on tension 4 and it has a light, soft feel. A few more are on my to-do list!

Advertisements
TV Slipper Socks

TV Slipper Socks

KONICA MINOLTA DIGITAL CAMERA

KONICA MINOLTA DIGITAL CAMERA

I love to get into my PJ’s and slipper socks for evening TV viewing or reading.  I have purchased a lot of pairs of “fat slipper socks”, as I called them, over the years, but they always end up feeling too tight and I constantly pull at them to make them more comfortable. So, I decided to make me some that were a bit looser and that would feel better. I think I inherited that trait from my mother – she was always having me hunt for loose socks for evening wear in her later years. So, I went to the bulky machine so they would be thick and warm. They looked huge off the machine, but when I got the toe stitched up with Kitchener stitch, they fit perfectly! Not too loose and more importantly – not too tight. No more pulling and adjusting my slipper socks all evening. 🙂 The pattern is above if you would like to try a pair. I used Red Heart 4 ply yarn and knit them in the round with the ribber. Ahhhh…comfy AND warm toes. 🙂